dimanche 22 février 2015

"Bought off" by my parents - Given 250k to never contact them again. What to do?


I’ll get straight to the point.


Short version:


I’ve been “bought off” by my parents. They told me I am no longer welcome to live with them, and I guess in some sort of twisted way of not feeling bad about it, they are giving me $250,000 to not contact them ever again.


I don’t know anything about investments, and I’m unemployed (but actively looking for a job, I have an economics degree from a decent university) and I want to know how to best manage that money so I don’t lose it and I get some return on it for the future.


Long version:


Growing up I was always somewhat the “lost cause” since my brother was better than me at everything. It doesn’t mean I did bad, I was just a little above average while he was always the best at everything; academia, sports, social life, you name it. I don’t know why but my parents seemed to always be ashamed of me. I didn’t get into trouble, I was a quiet kid, I did what I had to do and I tried not to get in anyone’s way. The comparisons were always there though, I don’t even know why but that’s the way it is. I don’t understand why anyone would want to do that, I used to blame myself for it when I was younger but I know it’s not my fault now. Almost 3 years ago my brother was in an accident and after being in a coma for 27 days he passed away. Things didn’t get any better after this, and if anything, the comparisons only increased. I never wanted to cause any trouble but I just couldn’t take it anymore and eventually I couldn’t put up with the abuse any longer. I didn’t do anything radical, I just started talking back and standing up for myself. I had moved away for college and the problems eased up a bit while I was away, but I had to come back home to look for a job last year when I finished college because (ironically) I didn’t want to ask for any money. I’ve been looking for a job for months, without much luck. I’ve been to interviews, assessment centers and what not, but I haven’t managed to get a job yet. Last week my parents told me I have a month to move out and not contact them again.



submitted by optimalcontrol to personalfinance

[link] [496 comments]



from reddit: the front page of the internet http://ift.tt/1vZrbIW
Categories:

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire